BackgroundGross Profit Margin (published 2013-12-04) is a Windows Mobile 8 Application that I developed after learning from salesman that he was frequently having to calculate the selling price of an item based on a given Gross Profit percentage. This was happening in front of customers during sales negotiations and the salesman, understandably, needed something quicker and easier to use. Inputting the calculations into a calculator to calculate the GP% impact was too cumbersome and using a simple Microsoft Excel spreadsheet would take too long to fire up on his laptop if not already open.
I therefore decided to create Gross Profit Margin as my first Windows Mobile 8 App in order to learn the latest Visual Studio development environment and to learn a new programming language, C#, as I have tended to use VB.net and Java in the past (it's very similar to Java!).
I published an update to the application on the Windows Phone Store 26th January 2015 to:-
- Introduce a new Tax field (adjustable in a new settings menu). A feature requested by Matthew Wallace below in the comments section.
- Tidy the user interface tidy the user interface
- Remove unnecessary resource permision reference requirements (Sensors, media etc)
- Utilise local storage so the variables entered now appear after exiting the app.
- Added email functionality to share/save calculations.
The app icon still needs some attention, but I hope you find this program useful!
InstructionsJust enter your Cost Price and then update any of the variables such as Markup or GP %, to instantly see the impact on the other statistics.
Possible Future Improvements
Please submit suggestions for bug fixes or improvements to this app below in the feedback area.